Thursday, February 23, 2006

 

Current Favorite Songs

In no particular order - what I'm currently listening to - ie, the songs on all of my iPod "on the go" playlists which I NEVER skip. Some are newbies - some are oldies (and probably from some commercial):

1. Girlfriend. The Darkness. One Way Ticket. This is (what appears to be) a "filler" track on the Darkness' new album. I love the title track "One Way Ticket (to He** and Back)" but this one is my absolute favorite. It has a ELO meets Queen while covering AC/DC feel to it - it's almost too manic to even dance to and/or sing along - but I LOVE it!

2. Ooh La La. Goldfrapp. Brand new favorite - it's actually this week's iTunes Download of the Week. It's a peppy, almost soulful (is that possible?) track with breathy vocals and a "Spirit in the Sky" vibe. While the chorus lyric is sadly reminiscent of the younger Simpson sister, it's a good tune.

3. Hungry. INXS. Switch. INXS' new CD is all new stuff except for Hungry, which the band has been playing for a few years, and finally recorded for this CD. The track is rich and complex with changing tempos and multiple layers of sound. Heard them preform it live last weekend - and it was even better live!

4. I Predict a Riot. Kaiser Cheifs. Employment. Still listening to this one from this summer. Another iTune pick. The Employment CD is definitely part of the post-modern punk movement. I Predict is my favorite track on the CD, but the rest are certainly listen-worthy.

5. Do Ya. Electric Light Orchestra. A New World Record. The real "source" for this tune is the Monster.com commercial - I couldn't get the chorus out of my head so I downloaded the song - now the whole darn thing is stuck.

6. Birdhouse in Your Soul. They Might be Giants. Flood. Certainly not a new tune, but a fun one to re-visit - and I do often. I regularly listen to my iPod on my walk home from work - this is a good choice to keep my pace brisk.

7. Bad Day. Daniel Powter. Daniel Powter. Another iTunes pick. It's such a great song, although I do get a little bummed by the lyrics - there's no "silver lining" to this sad tale. But it's a good anthem for when things are rough, and that's just the way it is - at least there's a good song to listen to - see, things are looking (sounding) better already.

8. It Ain't Me Babe. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Whitherspoon. Soundtrack to Walk the Line. Joaquin and Reese, covering Johnny and June, covering Dylan. The song itself is has a great message and Joaquin and Reese's tribute to the Cash's make it all the more enjoyable.

So, looking back at these selections - I'm not really sure what "mood" I'm in - Girlfriend is about a breakup (due to cheating); Ooh la la, we got some romance there (in a purely physical sense); Hungry is about letting go; I Predict, well, it's about a riot; who knows what Birdhouse is about?; Bad Day, self explanatory; Do Ya, dude is interested, but nothing's happened yet; It ain't me Babe dumps a clingy lover.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Philly: Let Freedom (Blog)Ring!
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random