Wednesday, August 23, 2006

 

Yes, I know it's creepy

more about the trip to CT soon -

I wanted to post about what I got to do yesterday. We took the ferry from Bridgeport, CT to Port Jefferson, NY (on Long Island) - Port Jeff is about 10 miles from the town where my dad grew up - St. James. We were traveling down rt 25A and passed St James - as a kid I would go there every summer to visit my grandfather (sometimes more often) - but Gramps passed away in 1987 and I hadn't been back to St. James (or Long Island, for that matter) since 1989.

I loved it there as a kid- it was (and I'm happy to report, still is) beautiful. I loved the intricate coastline of the Sound and the knowledge that you were just a 2 hour train ride from "the City". I always thought that I would end up living there when I "grew up" - but, so far, I haven't. I was very nostalgic, driving by the different towns we would visit and my dad would tell stories about (especially the Southern Flowerfield fearless fighters of fearsome forest fires).

We drove by our family's church, where my grandparents are buried. We doubled back and stopped at a nearby nursery (there are tons of nurseries out there; dad grew up on a nursery/farm) and I bought a flowering plant and a small shovel. I had a pretty good idea of where the grave site was; I'd gone there many times with Gramps. I cleaned off the area a little - and dug up some of the old growth - the plant fit nicely and looked good.

It was a very special moment - I'm so very glad that i got the opportunity to be there.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Philly: Let Freedom (Blog)Ring!
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random